About Our Casart Shells Reusable Wallcovering Design
Our Shells reusable wallcovering and decor design has a “shell-life” beyond just beach collection. We take a scientific approach with this design as the visual taxonomy of shells. Our Shells are artistic renderings of real seashells that represent the largest group of the Mollusca Phylum that we’ve collected. The shells are configured in a purposeful pattern to depict popular and common species of gastropods and bivalves, which are two of the seven classes of mollusks that produce the different types of shells in our design.
Background Behind Our Shells Reusable Wallcovering Design & Sea Life Collection
Our Shells are situated against a Sea Spray background with two different types of coral that represent two different branches of Gastropoda and Bivalvia classes of species. Each shell represents a separate branch or Order within the species’ family. All images are hand-drawn from real shell samples.
Biology of Shells
Going back to our days of basic biology, here’s a quick breakdown of how scientific classification works:
Kingdom -> Phylum -> Class -> Order -> Family -> Genus -> Species
Scientific Classification of Shells
Here’s a fun phrase to help remember this classification and coincidentally it can be related to our Shells, “Kings Play Chess On Fine Grain Sand,” as do our Shells. Imagine that Mollusks are the kings of this Phylum playing chess with their seashell treasures on the fine grain sand in the ocean. In other words, Mollusks are the second largest Genus of living organisms in the animal kingdom represented by more than 100,000 species.
- Kingdom = Animalia
- Phylum = Mollusca
- Classes = Our focus is on
- GASTROPODA (single shelled cowries, cones, etc.) &
- BIVALVIA (two shelled like clams, mussels, etc.)
- — The other Classes not in our design but for information only are:
- APLACOPHORA (solenogasters)
- MONOPLACOPHORA (segmented limpets)
- POLYPLACOPHORA (or Amphineura as it was earlier called- Chitons)
- SCAPHOPODA (tusk shells)
- CEPHALOPODA (nautilus, squids, Cuttelfish, octopus etc)
Sub-Classification of Shells
These classes are further divided into sub-classes, order, family and then genus and species. Furthermore, our Shells focus on the following three orders within these two main classes.
Gastropods (Marine Snails)
The major groups of marine snails (Gastropods) are the largest group of our Shells that are clustered on the right over the thin-branch red coral. The shells depicted here are the following but not necessarily in order as stated below. Similarly, families are grouped together for the most part but see if you can identify these individual shells:
• Orders (bolded below) > Family (common names used) > Genus and or Species
- Keyhole Limpets — Volcanic (Costa Rica)
- Turban — Green Banded (Australia)
- Top Shell — Pearlized Trochus (Florida)
- Periwinkle — Yellow Marsh Snail (Ocracoke, NC)
- — Extra — (CAMAENIDAE family) Yellow Amphidromus Chloris (Phillipines)
- — Extra — (ORTHALICIDAE family) Candy Cane Liguus Virgenius land snail (Dominican Republic)
- Helmet — Scotch Bonnet (Ocracoke, NC)
- Moon Snail — Common Northern (Ocracoke, NC)
- Muricidae / Murex — Pink Mouthed Murex (Pacific Central America)
- Melongena / Whelk — Lightening Whelk (Mid Atlantic)
- Melongena / Corona — American Crown Conch (SE US)
- Fasciolariidae / Tulip — Non Banded + Oxidized (Ocracoke, NC)
- Miter — Pontifical (Ocracoke, NC)
- Olive — Lettered (Ocracoke, NC)
- Muricidae / Cineria – Atlantic Bluish Oyster Drill (Ocracoke, NC)
- Fasciolariidae / Spindle –Polystira Albida / White Giant (Ocracoke, NC)
- Turrid / Turritella Duplicata (Indo Pacific)
- Cone — Pacific Lettered (Indo Pacific)
The next set of Shells come from the Bivalve class. These are located on the left over the thick-branch orange coral. The shells depicted here are the following:
- Genus = Modiolus > Species = midiolus — Pink Horse Mussel (Scotland/British Isles/ Whales & Newfoundland)
- Genus = Mytilus > Species = edulis — Edible Blue Mussle (N. Atlantic, RI)
- Family = Mactridae > Genus = Spisula > Species = Mactra hians — Hians Surf Clam (SE Asia)
- Family = Cardidae > Genus = Dinocardium > Species = robusta — Giant Atlantic (Ocracoke, NC)
- Family = Pectindae > Genus = Argopectin > Species = gibbus — Atlantic Calico Clam (Ocracoke, NC / Deleware to Brazil)
- Genus = Neotidae > Species = eontia — Ponderous Ark Clam (Ocracoke, NC)
Where Our Shells Reusable Wallcovering and Decor Work
Our Shells design works wonderfully in a residential setting, especially a vacation or beach-front property. View more hand-drawn shells as trompe l’oeil architectural panels here.
Our repositionable, removable and reusable wallpaper along with coordinating furniture and accessories are for purchase to our Casart Decor Shop.
Click to read more about how to purchase quality Casart removable wallpaper and made to order Casart Decor.
Peel and Place Shells Reusable Wallpaper in Rooms
If you like shells, our design gives a luxe look without harming the real animals that make them. The maximalist styling of our design gives the sense of what shells might look like as if swimming to find them through lacy layers of coral and water in their natural environment.
Mix and match our Shells reusable wallcovering design with others in our Sea Life Series. Moreover, all our 24-inch wide panels are easy to install to cover a full or focus wall, so you can move them around.
Shells Accessory Decor
Choose coordinating furniture and other accessories in our Sea Life Treasures Collection to further enhance your interior decor.
Click here to view our Sea Spray Mural as its own wallcovering artwork. Our other abstract water murals consist of Waves.
If you’re a fan of aqua-marine designs, see our Shell Fish design that incorporates our Shells with fish for fun tropical decor.
View our entire Sea Life Design Collection here.
Have a question? Click here and we’ll answer it.
Color choice: Natural Shells / Sea Spray Background, Natural Shells / Sea Spray + Coral Background (all other colorways have this background), Yellow-Purple, Orange-Blue, Green-Pink, Deep Blue, Sepia, Mauve
Available Roll Sizes & Accessory Products:
- Bookcase Backing: 24 in. w x 4 ft. h (8 sq. ft.)
- Medium Roll: 24 in. w x 8 ft. h (16 sq. ft.)
- Large Roll: 24 in. w x 10 ft. h (20 sq. ft.)
- Large Wall Mural (Square) 8 ft. w x 8 ft. h (64 sq. ft.)
- Casart Decor
Removable Wallpaper Type:
There are no reviews yet.