Tuesday was the first day of Summer AND the longest day of the year, which means we had extra daylight hours to bake in the sun! Summer is always sultry here in the South and the high humidity just makes it seem hotter than the thermometer reads. It’s definitely the time to lighten up not only your decor but also your activities and chill out. My suggestions for coping follow.
1. Schedule all outdoor activities for early in the morning or late in the evening. I potted Vincas at 8:00 p.m. last Saturday.
2. If you have access to a pool, a swim can be refreshing if taken during the time suggested above. Otherwise, it’s the same as taking a tepid bath.
3. Slipcover everything you possibly can, including the walls. Here’s our faux padded harlequin design in a cooling teal color.
Or use a gold colored harlequin with a fresh green artichoke over it.
4. Grab a book or magazine you’ve been wanting to read, kick off your shoes, pour a glass of icy lemonade or tea and relax for a while. Now, don’t you feel cooler just looking at these glasses of pineapple lemonade?
And here’s the perfect big wicker chair with a pineapple pillow to sink into.
Even the cat seems to know when it’s just too hot to do anything but doze.
5. If all else fails to help you chill out, give in and take a beach vacation. Casart’s carryalls and totes will help make the trip easier. And, you’ll feel good because a portion of the sale of each carryall or tote is donated to the Gulf Coast Recovery.
– Lorre Lei